Friday, May 20, 2011

Freezer Food

I have been putting off a post about this brilliant idea, because I've been trying to figure out a way to make it into a side business.  I haven't figured it out, it's been months, so I'm sharing.  If you figure out of a way to make some cash from this go for it!  Or else tell me how and I'll love you forever.

I received this book as a baby shower gift - thanks Katye! - and have put it to good use!  It is brilliant!  Not only are the recipes tasty; it describes to you how to freeze them, how to reheat them, when to add extras, and even gives side dish ideas sometimes!  Brilliant!  (BTdub, when I type brilliant, I 'say' it with a British accent - you should too, it's more fun!) 

The GENIUS part of it is the suggestion to do this with other families.  It, again, describes this plan in detail in the book.  (That the authors came up with all these brilliant ideas makes it hard for me to figure out how I should profit...darn those smart ladies taking all my good ideas!!)  Split the groceries, do prep work before you get together, get together, have a ton of fun, put together the recipes and leave with a ton of meals prepared for your freezer.  The ONLY downside I can think of is that if you picked a recipe that you didn't love you'd have to eat it 2-3 more times.  That's it!!  And if you are like me, this is really not that big of a deal as there are very few things I turn my nose up at.

My friend Daisy and I have done this 3-4 times.  We usually spend between $70-$90 each on groceries, 2-4 hours "cooking", and leave with 12-16 meals for the freezer.  I don't have the time or the desire to do that math right now, but it's a GOOD deal. 

DO it!  Get together with your best girlies, have the hubs watch the kids, have a glass of wine, and get your grocery savvy on!! 

Happy Friday!
E



These have nothing to do with this post...I just fear that if there are no pics of the babes, you'll boycott.

3 comments:

  1. $90*2=$180
    $180/32= $11.25 per meal (assuming you meant 12-16 meals each)
    I took the higher numbers for simplicy :)
    Do you always put bows on the girls? They are so cute! However do you manage to keep them on!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correctomundo, Beatle. Remember too, that each meal is 4 servings. Daisy feeds a family of 6 (one tiny, tiny eater) and Dan and I always have leftovers. So, approximately $3 per serving. Whew.

    Bows don't happen often, and usually cause a meltdown at some point during the wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That reminds me of a book I got many years ago, Once A Month Cooking. I see those books are also on Amazon. Love the blog and the pix!

    ReplyDelete