Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oh Blarney!

Today was a fun day!  I have moments where I actually get a little misty in the eye area and act like a girl.  Today was one of those days.  At one point-a short, fleeting moment-I had both of the girls with me in the kitchen.  I was singing and dancing and baking, they were drooling and smiling and trying to keep their head upright in their little Bumbos...it was awesome!  I do believe I was born to be a momma.  Anyway, it didn't last long, one needed changing, then a nap, one needed bouncing, etc.  The project was Blarney Stones.  We are having a little snack feast at work tomorrow (how sweet that a party fell on one of the two days I go there!!!) and I felt that Blarney Stones would be the perfect contribution.


A little back story on these Blarney Stones.  First, they are part of one of my fondest junior high school memories (there aren't many!).  I had/have a great group of girlfriends back at old LHS.  One March day, we gathered at Grandma Opal's to make Blarney Stones.  Grandma Opal was Leigh's grandma, but we all claimed her.  I don't remember much, but I remember laughing a lot, having so much fun with my friends, thinking Opal was one cool grandma, and that Blarney Stones are the perfect combination of a sickeningly sweet, salty bite.  Sweet Opal passed away this year, and Leigh sent me a photocopy of the recipe in Opal's writing.  What a treasure!

Well, I needed Opal today.  Maybe on that day we didn't really help much, and just watched her make them for us.  Maybe the recipe leaves a little too much room for interpretation.  Maybe my two little helpers interrupted the process too many times.  I don't know - but they're not just like I remembered.  No matter though.  I baked with my babes, remembered a sweet lady, and good times with dear friends, and sampled enough that I have a little belly ache.  And, I'm not embarrassed to take them to work.


Now, I'm left wondering.  Who will be the Grandma Opal in my girls' life?  Who will I be a Grandma Opal to?  And, isn't it funny how some experiences just stick with you?  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I was in Opal's home - but I think they were each noteworthy.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a wonderful story.... Wish I could sample a Blarney Stone with you and the girls today. Happy St Pat Day and the Luck of the Irish follow you today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. I am sure it means a lot to Leigh too! Happy St. Patrick's Day. Will K&L being wearing their green? Can you still pinch them even if they are? They are so pinchable!

    ReplyDelete