Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Remedy

There was a time, BC (before children), that I did not believe in the Germ Theory of Disease.  I believed that sickness happened when your body was unable to fight well, not when the germs were present.  Then, I had babies.  They are cesspools of cooties.  (I say most of this in jest, I really still think as I did BC - our bodies are just tired and therefore, truly, unable to fight well.)

We have all had a cold.  Well, all but Kate - she fights well.

Colds are really nothing more than a nuisance, right??  They don't hurt that bad, they usually don't last that long, but while you are in the thick of it - it is just no fun.

We try to just let sicknesses run their course.  We don't pop many pills here in the Prince House.  I have, however, tested and tried a few helpful things to speed the inconvenience along...

**The Neti Pot
I cannot tout it's praises loudly enough.  It's gross and weird and not talked about in polite conversation, but if you don't Neti, treat yourself.

**Homeopathics
Oscillococcinum by Boiron is the one of the only things in my medicine cabinet.  Works well and quickly and doesn't make you feel stoned.

**The Sweat Bath
My recipe is 1 cup Epsom salts, 1 cup baking soda, 10-20 drops essential oil (lavender is my favorite, but eucalyptus is super helpful for congestion.  We like Young Living oils) in a full, hot as you can stand it, bath.  The key is to sit there long enough to sweat and then to just keep sitting there and keep sweating.  I usually add hot water to the bath a few times and stay in about 30-45 minutes.  I take a glass of ice water with me and usually then yell for Dan to bring me more - parched.  It's gotta be good for you.

**Hydrate
I'm a water fan.  If it's cold out I try to have less coffee and down some hot tea.  Regardless, hydrate up.

**If-it's-not-the-holidays-and-you-are-smarter-than-me...Avoid Sugar
I hate this one.  For years I argued that this was a myth.  It's not.  You will feel better and your immune system will work better if you avoid refined, processed, sugary things.  Boo.

In health,
Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment